Voter Resources



  • If your name was dropped from the checklist in error, or has not been added even though you submitted a timely application for addition to the checklist, you can fill out a new registration form.  If the clerk or Board of Civil Authority does not add your name, you can appeal the decision to a superior court judge, who will settle the matter on Election Day.  Call the Secretary of State's Office at 1-800-439-VOTE (439-8683) for more information.
  • If you are a first time voter who submitted your application to the checklist individually by mail and did not submit the required document, you must provide a current and valid photo identification, or a bank statement, utility bill, or government document that contains your name/current address.
  • If you have physical disabilities, are visually impaired or can't read, you may have assistance from any person of your choice. If any voters you know have disabilities, let them know they can have assistance from any person of their choice.
  • If you know voters who cannot get from the car into the polling place, let them know that ballot(s) may be brought to their car by two election officials.
  • If you have any questions or need assistance while voting, ask your Town Clerk or any election official for help.


  • Vote more than once per election, either in the same town or in different towns.
  • Mislead the Board of Civil Authority about your own or another person's true residency or other eligibility to vote.
  • Hinder or impede a voter going into or from the polling place.
  • Socialize in a manner that could disturb other voters in the polling place.
  • Offer bribe, threaten or exercise undue influence to dictate or control the vote of another person.


  • Call the Secretary of State's Office at 1-800-439-VOTE (439-8683).  (Accessible by TDD)
  • If you believe that any of your voting rights have been violated, you may file an Administrative Complaint with the Secretary of State's Office, 128 State Street, Montpelier, VT 05633.
  • If you believe you have witnessed efforts to commit any kind of fraud or corruption in the voting process, you may report this to your local United States Attorney's Office.
  • If you have witnessed actual or attempted acts of discrimination or intimidation in the voting process, you may report this to the Civil Rights Division of the United States Department of Justice at (800) 253-3931.
  • For each office listed on the ballots, you will see instructions to “Vote for not more than one, or Vote for not more than two, etc.”
  • Fill in the oval to the right of the name of the candidate you want to vote for.
  • To vote for someone whose name is not printed on the ballot, use the blank "write-in" lines on the ballot and either write-in the name or paste on sticker, then fill in the oval.

 For more information visit the Elections Division on the Vermont Secretary of State website.